Weekly Reflection

To begin my journey as a screenwriter, I first familiarized myself with the concept of a storyline and the process of developing a pilot. Armed with this knowledge, I got into researching other successful screenplays to understand how to effectively convey messages through dialogue, character development, and plot. By reading scripts such as The Humans and Dead to Me, I was able to witness how screenplays were translated onto the screen in the final product. I realized that while the majority of the screenplay made it to the movie, certain scenes were sometimes rearranged or had pieces of dialogue added or removed.

As I continued my learning journey, I shifted my focus to reading pilot scripts that aligned with the screenplay I was working on with my mentor. One of the scripts that caught my attention was the Euphoria script, which taught me how to develop character arcs and outline a story. To hone my skills, I practiced each individual skill until I felt confident enough to apply what I learned to my own script.

During a trip to Philadelphia, I worked on developing my personal screenplay and wrote an almost fully fleshed-out outline. Collaborating with my mentor provided me with instant feedback and allowed me to incorporate suggestions on the spot. This was particularly helpful in areas where I got stuck, as I was able to converse with my mentor and bring my screenplay to life. Overall, this journey has been invaluable in my development as a screenwriter.


Comments

Popular Posts